The Emmanuel Institute of Evangelism was established in 2009 in the Michigan Conference of Seventh-day Adventists for the purpose of training church members in effective personal and public evangelism. We chose the name Emmanuel for two reasons. The first reason is that it is one of the names of our Lord. “Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us” (Matthew 1:23, KJV). “God with us” is the most essential key to successful soulwinning.
The second, less obvious reason stems back to the year 1901 when our first denominational college, the Battle Creek College, chose to relocate into a country setting with a renewed emphasis on mission. The school re-opened in October of the same year in Berrien Springs, Michigan under the new name, the “Emmanuel Missionary College”.
An article in the Advent Review and Sabbath Herald of August 25, 1903 said “Emmanuel Missionary College has for its sole purpose the training of missionaries.” In those days, every church member was a missionary and every occupation was a mission field. This is why J.N. Loughborough, in his book The Great Second Advent Movement wrote on page 396, “To qualify laborers fully prepared for work in any part of the world where they may be called in the providence of God to labor is the one great desire and aim of the teachers of the Emmanuel Missionary College.”
It is precisely this missionary spirit that we hope to rekindle through the Emmanuel Institute of Evangelism.